NEW MUSINGS

LATINO WRITERS AND HOURNALISTS' BOOK UNIUTES LITERARY GEMS

'Latino Writers and Journalists' book unites literary gems

From the Staff of The LatinaVoz.com

GO TO ACTUAL ARTICLE HERE!

As gifted as Isabel Allende, Sandra Cisneros and Rudolfo Anaya -- the stars of the book cover -- are, the treasure of Jamie Martinez Wood's "Latino Writers and Journalists" compilation is the personal way she gathers scattered literary "jewels" into one tome.

Wood interviewed more than 70 of the 150 writers she profiles in a book that defies one-niche-fits-all categorization. Reference-style, the book's indices group and regroup the writers by age, subject matter, style, ethnicity and year of birth covering topics from oral storytelling to the expatriate experience to Nuyorican literature to border culture to feminist issues to Cuban-American literature to postmodern works to the Chicano Movement to gay/lesbian issues to magic realism to the immigrant experience to Native literature to the barrio experience to social protest writings to New Mexican literature and beyond.

A quote in Wood's book from a 2005 interview with novelist Kathleen Alcala could as easily been said of "Latino Writers and Journalists."

"I have discovered that each person who reads one of my books is actually reading a different book, based on their own experiences," Alcala said. "So it is very gratifying to provide narratives that alter the way people see the world, or that bring out their own experiences that they thought were isolated."

And so it is that the eighth-generation Mexican American author of "Latino Writers and Journalists" organizes her writers in alphabetical fashion, but she herself ends up on a journey much deeper than A to Z.

"Each story I heard from the writers and journalists felt like a lost jewel," Wood told TheLatinaVoz.com. "I was learning something about my Latino family and the events that shaped me and our world. Hearing the different experiences kept up my enthusiasm and continued to inspire me during the long process of writing this book."

"Latino Writers and Journalists," which was two years in the making and published in June, will have a book release party this September and has been nominated for the Carter G. Woodson Book Award, which honors "the most distinguished social science books appropriate for young readers that depict ethnicity in the United States."

Wood's book, however, is far from solely for young readers. In particular, the book's embracing of journalists such as Ruben Salazar and Frank del Olmo contributes a deeper understanding into the experience of Latino writers in the United States.

Wood, who was born and raised in Orange, Calif., has a degree in a communications from Cal State University, Fullerton, where she studied Chicano studies and Latino women in literature. Her book is part of a new "A to Z of Latino Americans" set from Facts On File that spotlights Latinos who "have influenced and continue to impact the Latino community, the United States, and the world in a variety of fields and professions."

Yet, like the authors she profiles, Wood herself cannot be easily categorized, having also written books on seasonal living and earth spirituality as well as "independently researching Orange County Hispanic and Native History for more than 10 years," according to her bio.

The following are excerpts of TheLatinaVoz.com's question-and-answer session with Wood:

Voz: What was the most difficult part about writing the book for you?

Wood: My biggest obstacle was getting over the enormity of the project. The vast scope and importance of this book continued to overwhelm me until I turned the book in for the final edit. I was also concerned that because I didn't hold a doctorate in Chicano literature, the critics would comment that I was underqualified to write this book. But after months of researching and interviewing I realized that my skills, dedication and desire to honor Latino literature were a perfect match for this project.

Voz: The book is so effective at introducing people to a wide range of writers, did you have the idea of writing it as a text from the start?

Wood: From the beginning it was very important to me to include all the genres for which Latinos have written. In this way I hoped to illustrate the varied Latino experience as expressed for different age groups and subsections of the society, throughout history. Through my interviews, I loved hearing firsthand the Latino perspective throughout the political transformations in America. Even though my family has lived in America for 200 years, there are not many stories recalled.

Voz: What made you decide to include journalists?

Wood: The editor required that I include some journalists. However, I went above and beyond the allotted number because I was so inspired by journalists such as Ruben Salazar and Frank del Olmo. I wanted to honor the incredible challenge it has been to get fair representation in the media. Through my research I learned the devastating effects on self-esteem when the Latino perspective and experience was not covered in news and current events. I relied on the assistance of the California Chicano News Media Association and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists to ensure that I included journalists from as many facets of journalism and represent as many cities as possible. Additionally, this part of the project was particularly exciting because a compilation of biographical essays on Latino journalists has never been done.

Voz: How did you decide which authors to include? What were the difficult "cuts"?

Wood: As per editor request, I needed to include an equal number of men and women and as many people from the past as possible. I began my research for subjects by talking with Latino bookstore owners and Chicano studies librarians. I included everyone who appeared simultaneously on these different lists. Since each essay needed to include specific background information and three resources, I next sought out the people whom I could interview or who had the most information available. I spoke with Hispanic publishers, called agents, contacted authors via their website, anything to get the writer's take on their life history, books, Latino literature, etc.

Voz: Have your writing role models changed since you have written the book?

Wood: Yes. I really enjoyed hearing the writers' foibles, strengths and their unique journey on their way to success.

Voz: Which interviews stood out most to you?

Wood: I was so impressed with Frank del Olmo's story, via his widow, Magdelena del Olmo. I was in awe when I heard that upon the untimely death of Salazar, at the Chicano Moratorium, Frank relinquished a master's scholarship at Columbia to become the lone Latino reporter at the L.A. Times to cover the Chicano civil rights movement. With great courage and honesty, Frank wrote about Christmases with his autistic son, making him the only journalist of national stature to write regularly about autism for nearly a decade.

Another memorable interview was with Josefina Lopez. I joined NALIP (National Association of Latino Independent Producers) to meet with Josefina. She was flying in from Paris to attend the national conference, which just happened to be in the town I was living. I met her at the conference luncheon and picked her brain in between courses. It was difficult to remain casual, while I was in such awe of her talent and accomplishments. But I found that we are only a year apart in age and actually had a lot in common. We're still in touch today.

Interviewing Betty Cortina of Latina Magazine was fun. She has such dedication and perseverance.

Voz: If readers were looking for a surprise in the book, what would that be?

Wood: The candid quotes and details and anecdotes of the writers' and journalists' early life will be very revealing and surprising.

Voz: What were the surprises for you as you wrote the book?

Wood: My biggest surprise came from hearing stories of hardship of assimilation. As an eighth-generation Mexican American, I was always encouraged to be more American than Mexican, I had resented it and blamed it on a lack of courage or pride. It wasn't until E.A. Mares used the word "propaganda," specifically to enhance the lives of their children, as the driving factor to assimilate did I dully comprehend what my ancestors endured and why they relinquished their traditions.

I found another surprise when I spoke with Sandra Benitez and discovered her deep sense of humanity. Since birth I've had over 10 combinations of my full name. I felt like whenever I claimed one name, I somehow relinquished the rights associated with another name. When I heard of the journey behind how Sandra came to claim her mother's maiden name, I felt a kindred story and contentment in the knowledge that the person behind the name is so much more important than the nomenclature.

The funniest surprise came when I read how Isabel Allende was expelled from a school at age 6 for organizing a contest to show off underpants. I loved hearing these rebel stories.

Voz: Were there any writers of which you were not aware before you began this process?

Wood: The poets and late 1800s women writers were new to me.

Voz: Now that the book is published, do you still find new authors you wish were in the book? Who might they be?

Wood: I would now include Mary Castillo, Himilce Novas, and all the published writers from my Las Comadres para Americas writers group.

GO TO ACTUAL ARTICLE HERE!

If you would like a press kit, please send request to maito:Jamie@jamiewood.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
(C) JAMIE WOOD